The North Fitzroy Community Gardens Group aims to enhance the sustainability of the North Fitzroy community by:
- respecting prior ownership of the land by Indigenous Australians;
- maintaining an attractive urban space where people can grow plants predominantly for food and which is accessible to the local community to enjoy,
- promoting sustainable organic horticultural techniques and fostering the sharing and development of a diversity of gardening skills; and
- managing the garden by consensus in an open, participatory and non-discriminatory manner.
By becoming a member you agree with the above aims of the North Fitzroy Community Gardens Group.
Membership entitles members to join the waiting list for a plot, to be involved in communal areas of the community garden, to participate in decision making and General Meetings and receive all Group communications. Members agree to be bound by the rules and by-laws of the Group, copies of which are available.
Plot allocation & plot fees
Plots are allocated in accordance with the by-laws of the Group. Only one plot is permitted per household.
Additional fees apply for plots. Pro-rata Plot fees are due upon allocation of plot and thereafter on 1st March and 1st September. Fees are non-refundable. Plot fees are intended to cover costs of the garden such as water and electricity, public liability insurance and communal garden tools and equipment. For 2011, plot fees are $8/m2 per year full rate and $4/m2 per year concession rate. Plot fees are reviewed annually at the Annual General Meeting of the Group.
Members are advised of the presence of low-level contamination of the soil at the Thomas Kidney Reserve prior to the construction of the garden. A detailed site report is available from the Committee.
- There are currently over 60 households on the waiting list for a plot and new members can expect a wait of at least four years for a plot.
- The City of Yarra licence to operate Rushall Garden requires that preference be given to residents of the City of Yarra when allocating plots. Non-residents can only be allocated a plot if there are no City of Yarra residents on the waiting list. In view of the current long waiting list of City of Yarra residents it is unlikely that non-residents will be eligible for a plot in the foreseeable future.
You have 2 options for paying your membership fee:
- Mail a completed cheque or money order with membership fee payable to North Fitzroy Community Garden Group to: NFCGG Treasurer, PO Box 1358, Fitzroy North, VIC, 3068. Please write your full name and address at back of the cheque/money order.
- Pay by internet banking to the Group account – BSB: 313140 Account No: 30805795. If you use this option, please use your surname as the transaction reference so that your payment can be identified.
Please enter your details in the fields below, tick appropriate radio buttons and click the SUBMIT button when finished. Your membership will be confirmed once we have received your fee as set out above.
** Concession Annual fee: Photocopied evidence of concession status is required showing that you are over 65 years of age or the holder of a Student Concession Card or Health Care Card.